Let’s face it… mornings can be rough - especially during the fall and winter months. The work hours are long, the days are short, and all you want to do is curl up and hibernate. But, you shouldn’t go through your whole day waiting for the end of it! Here, I'm sharing several ways to wake up happy and help get that #MotivationMonday going every day, all year round.
- Start your day with gratitude. No matter what humps or bumps you are facing in your life, there is always something to be grateful for. Start your day by jotting down three of those things! The practice of physically writing down these positives, and seeing them in front of you, is restorative, and it will help you gain a new perspective of what is important to you and what you truly appreciate in your life.
- Smile! Have you ever heard that your smile is your best accessory? Well, I’m here to tell you it is. Smiling looks good on anyone and our facial expressions do more than communicate our current mood — they have the ability to influence our mood as well. By smiling, we automatically send endorphins to our entire body, which can make us feel happier.
- Breathe deeply. Our breathing affects how we feel and how we feel affects our breathing. So reap the incredible mood-boosting benefits of deep breathing and remember that every breathe we take has the potential to nourish and cleanse us. Our inhale breath brings in vitality and energy while oxygenating the blood and our exhale breath allows us to let go of toxins, tensions and anything that isn’t necessary anymore!
- Do something active. Morning exercise, even the lightest movement, gets dopamine and serotonin (the happy chemicals) flowing in your brain. So make the time to kick start your body and mind by going on a brisk walk, getting a full workout in or doing some morning yoga in your living room to #namastehappy!
- Get outdoors. Get out in the sunshine and nature as often as possible, and bask in the beauty of the world around us. From listening to the crashing waves or birds chirping, to catching a sunrise, or sipping your morning coffee on the porch, you will instantly feel gratification when you take time to enjoy life’s priceless presents.
- Shower and dress well. When you feel better, you do better. Boost your productivity and mental health by cleaning up and dressing up! It’s proven to make you feel happier and work harder.
- Volunteer. There is nothing more emotionally rewarding than extending yourself in order to help someone else. Get up, get out and get going!
- Launch your laugh. Becoming a happy person doesn't have to be a serious process. Whether it’s busting a move, singing in the shower, or listening a hilarious Podcast, do whatever it takes to keep yourself laughing as much as possible.
What will do to wake up happy?