If you talk to any beauty junkie, chances are they will tell you that the Beautyblender ($20) is one of their must-have, favorite tools. The revolutionary, egg-shaped makeup sponge has had a huge impact on both the amateur and professional makeup world since it's launch in 2007. If you haven't bounced on to the bandwagon by now, you and your kit are missing out on all of the flawless fun. Here's why:
The Beautyblender creates an absolutely seamless finish, like you were just airbrushed, Facetuned, then sprinkled with magical fairy dust. All jokes aside, it’s the most incredible makeup applicator.. ever. So keep reading and prepare to be beauty schooled with some fun and interesting facts about the trusty tool.
- The Shape: The egg shape is cool and all, but there's significance behind the shape. For years, makeup artists had been cutting off the edges of triangle sponges to create a less defined line of demarcation. The founder of Beautyblender, Rea Ann Silvia, was once of those artists. But, after hours of tired hands and many discarded sponges later, she knew there had to be a better way. While working on the set of Girlfriends, she began to research shapes and landed on the egg. The idea came from a combination of two popular sponge-cutting techniques: making a pointy sponge to reach small areas and making a wide, round-bottomed sponge to cover big areas fast.
- The Material: The exact makeup of the hydrophilic foam material is a huge brand secret! Unlike other makeup sponges that repel moisture, Beautyblender is designed to absorb water. So what does this mean? You will use *less* product with the Beautyblender. It's designed to be used dampened for optimal performance (read the instructions, people). This allows the sponge to soak up the water, leaving no room left to absorb your product. It's one-of-a-kind consistency and versatility allows for the sponge to be used with a wide variety of products (foundation, concealer, highlighter, blush, skincare, self-tanner, to name a few) and for different purposes. With proper care, the Beautyblender should last about three months.
- The Technique: While people use the Beautyblender in a numerous ways, the most effective is to tap, tap, tap it over the skin vs. sweeping, dragging, or rolling - you won't get the same finished look.
Beautyblender is available in it's original (pink), bubble (light pink), chill (turquoise), pop (orange), pure (white), nude and pro (black). Additionally, you can purchase the Beautyblender blusher, for cream and powder blush, and the micro.mini, which is specifically designed for correcting makeup. The mini tool offers flawless coverage for the smallest parts of the face with its laser focused pointed end and span of its wider end.
But, the fun doesn't stop there. Here are some hacks for the egg-cellent tool!
- It isn't meant to be used only with liquid formulas—the Beautyblender works makeup wonders with powders, too. Just make sure you give the dampened sponge a good squeeze to get rid of excess moisture before dipping into your favorite powder product (bronzer, blush, highlighter, eyeshadow, etc.).
- Place your primer directly on the sponge to give whatever formula you use a priming base.
- Instead of applying more layers of makeup throughout the day, you can use the Beautyblender to re-blend and refresh your makeup to maintain a flawless finish.
- The dye-free sponge can be used to remove makeup, as well as, apply your skincare like moisturizer and serums. You don't want to waste any of your pricy anti-aging and skin-perfecting products that you invest in!
- You can erase makeup mistakes by using the Beautyblender to buff away product overload or lines. The texture of the dry makeup sponge works as an eraser, lifting off excess makeup without leaving any traces behind!
- You can seamlessly apply SPF and/or self-tanner with a regular Beautyblender for your face or a Bodyblender ($28) on the rest of your skin.
Never miss a bounce again. #borntoblend
What are some of your favorite ways to use the Beautyblender?