Working from home can sound like a dream to a lot of people. Freedom to utilize your 24 hours however you want, from wherever you want. Pretty neat, right? Yes, it is. But, this type of flexibility isn’t for everyone. In order to be successful, you must be disciplined, motivated and a self-starter. As someone who went from your NYC office job to working from home, I’ve learned to adapt to the transition (it’s weird at first) and uncover tricks to make working from home work for you. That’s why I’ve put together seven tips on how to supercharge your productivity from your home office. I promise, you don’t need a cubicle to get $h*t done!
1. Start each day like you’re going to work. Take a shower, get dressed and have breakfast. You will put yourself in a productive state of mind if you set professional standards for your day.
2. Set up your office. I didn’t realize how important a dedicated space to work was until I had one. It is crucial that you create a workspace that is comfortable, inspiring and complete with all of the tools you need to succeed. Computer? Check. Printer? Check. Super cute notebook/to-do list? Check. Make it personal -- you’re going to be spending a lot of time there. Also, set boundaries so that those living with you know when you are available and when you are not.
3. Start your day 30 minutes earlier than you plan to start working. Why, you ask? This time should be used to plan for the day and to check social media. List out everything you need to achieve for the day. Check them off to keep you motivated and on-task. Read the news and check social media so you don’t waste too much time during your actual work day. *You can also schedule time to check the news/social media during your lunch and at the end of the day.
4. Play your strengths and plan accordingly. Are you a morning person? Do you like tackling your hardest tasks first? Are you more creative in the afternoon? Play your strengths and plan your work schedule around when you are most productive.
5. Make a schedule, and stick to it! Knowing that you can work whenever can be tempting, but you will find that you will be much more productive if you follow a schedule that you set for yourself. A.K.A keep the same hours every day. Your hours should correspond with others in your industry.
6. Make sure you “turn off” at the end of the day. I’ll be the first to tell you, this is hard to do. It is very easy to keep working long hours after you’ve surpassed your normal “working hours.” After all, your office is as easily accessible on the weekend (heck, at all times) as it is during the week. Make a point of getting out of the house, engaging in hobbies, etc. If you focus on creating structure and having work/life balance, you’ll be amazed at what you can accomplish! You can have it all.
7. Work remote every now and then. Some of us aren’t meant to work from home every single day. If you’re one of those people, head to a cafe, coffee-shop or group workspace. It’s refreshing to be surrounded by people, and the change of scenery can help you work more efficiently and even ignite a spark in you that you didn’t know you needed!
So next time you're in the area, head in and make your debut to see what you discover!
Want To Look & Feel Your Most Beautiful This Holiday Season? Download Your FREE Winter Beauty Survival Guide Now!